Tuesday, November 15, 2011

November Christmas Pineapple

I have not been able to post for a while. Was in car accident in end of October. No broken bones but lots of discomfort. No sewing for 2 weeks, boy was that sad. My mental therapy has always been to sew or make something creative just to get my mind off what ails me.

In that vain I signed up for a Quick Doll Quilt Swap.  Cutting the strips was an exhausting ordeal. I did over cut as we all do. Then had to take a nap! I am not a napper. Two hours later, I came back to try and sew something. It was a challenge just to sew for 15 to 20 minutes. One little block done.
It is coming along nicely. The theme is Christmas or Wintery. So we are trying to get them done for the Holidays. Time to rest again.

About a week before the accident I received in the mail my Pineapple Ruler and book "Trash to Treasure Pineapple Quilts" by Gyleen Fitzgerald !  Love the book and ruler. I have always wanted to make a pineapple quilt but did not want to do it paper pieced because I tend to break stitches getting out the paper. The first block did take me about one hour. Slow and steady with 2 sessions of sewing. Once I had my sample block it did go faster because I knew exactly the placement for each round. I made 6 blocks, 4 for the doll swap, one for AAQI and one for me, that I will turn into a new mini for my work cubicle. The beauty of this method is that you don't have to control the placement. You can design on the fly or do it more controlled. I will be using the remainder of the strips to do a totally scrappy placement and see what evolves!

In posting the picture, I can see that two of the blocks are sewn in reverse to what my intention was. I am going to leave it the way it is. Concussion confusion! I have been staring at it for 2 days trying to see what was odd. The odd was me! LOL!




No comments:

Post a Comment