Monday, November 12, 2018

Holy Moly Stash and Stitch 11-11-18

I have been quilting and quilting my sister in laws quilt. So far I have quilted for 12+ hours on it. The fabrics that were used in this quilt are from the 1980's. More then half of them are poly blend and the rest calico, shirting, and unknown. There is 35 years of dust in this quilt. I have a sore throat, my glands are swollen and have a headache since I started quilting it 5 days ago. Even my nose runs when I work on it. May be coincidence but I doubt it. This quilt was in a house fire. It was not touched by the fire but I am thinking maybe some of the chemicals firemen use to put out fires may be present. It was stored in a office supply box for years. Though I don't see anything on the box or on the quilt, I feel worse when I work on it.


It was necessary to do some repairs to a few spots in the sashing where the fabric was shredding away from the seam. The border had to be cut down 1 1/2 inches because in several places the batting was missing or backing fabric was torn. Also the poly batting looked grey, dirty, and dingy.  I am up to the binding. I am going to finish it today. I made 480 inches of binding. More than enough to go around the quilt.


Other than the quilt, I worked on a zip pouch with clear plastic front. It is not finished. I ran out of time. I didn't want to re-thread my machine to do the last 4 seams. I will save that as a reward for finishing SIL's quilt.



Stash Report   Week 45 2018
Fabric used this week: 1 yard   
Fabric Added this week: 0 yards   
Fabric Added Year to Date: 97 yards 
Net used for 2018: 74 yards
      
GOAL for Year - 62 yards !!  

15 Minute Challenge:  
Week 45        7 of 7 days
2018 Total         240 of 314 days

Happy Sewing! 

Aileen in FL


4 comments:

  1. That sounds absolutely miserable! Hope you are all finished and can start to work on something that doesn't make you feel bad physically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you are almost finished. I'd say that quilt is due for a good soaking - with color catchers for safety. You do deserve a reward for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an unpleasant quilting experience. I bet you're so relieved to nearly be done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was given 2 quilt tops that had smoke damage. They had been treated by a company after the fire, and were kinda grey. I washed them and they cleaned up nicely. You can use a serger or the same stitch on your sewing machine, and it seals in the edges so that you can wash the quilt tops before quilting. Hope you are well now, now that the quilt is done.

    ReplyDelete