Sunday, November 25, 2018

Organize & Sew Stitch & Stash 11-25-18

Happy Thanksgiving and crazy shopping week. As a former retail manager, you would have to beat me with a 2x4 and drag me kicking and screaming into a mall, strip mall, even a grocery store this week. Not going to happen! I did not go "shopping" this week. I have made a few purchases on the web in the past few weeks. Mostly I have been sewing and organizing my sewing room.

I dedicated yesterday to sewing room clean up and pattern cutting. I cleaned up tubs that I had used to set aside sewing that I didn't have time to finish. There were a lot of..."so that's where I put that" moments! I found things I started in June before I left for Seattle, crumb blocks, piece tops for art quilts, regular and serger thread I purchased but couldn't find, purchased patterns, old patterns from charity sewing, left over binding, several hand drafted patterns for clothing and blocks. Six hours later about 90% of the sewing was organized, fabric put away in the stash, in scrap binds, and in the to do tub on the sewing machine counter. Now I will be able to sew more productively.

This week will be pouches and handbags. The hangbag prep takes forever!    So today will be dedicated to fusing interfacing to fabric for these bags.

I did finish the charity quilt that had been sitting on a tub for 3 weeks. It was one of the quilt tops that someone else did. We had bundled up kits so all you had to do is sandwich them and get cracking. We found that some like to do the piecing, other prefer the quilting, and yet others prefer to bind and hand stitch the binding down. The kits were set up so that longarmers could take the big ones and domestic sewing machine sewers could take the smaller quilts to finish. We had a November 15 deadline to complete and turn them in. The Charity Sew Group had a 350 quilt goal. Last count we were at 325. I will get the total in a couple days when the labels are attached to the quilts. It ain't done till the labels on!

I am on the fence about starting Bonnie Hunters Mystery "Good Fortune". I may do it as leaders and enders. In my quest to clean my sewing room, I found a tub of fabric I had set aside to do Grand Illusion. I never did this one. I was glad that I didn't because it was not my taste. However I think I may use those colors to do this mystery. I will take a look at what is in the tub and see if I need to change any of  the color choices.


Stash Report   Week 47 2018
Fabric used this week: 0 yard   
Fabric Added this week: 0 yards   
Fabric Added Year to Date: 97 yards 
Net used for 2018: 75 yards
      
GOAL for Year - 62 yards !!  

15 Minute Challenge:  
Week 47        7 of 7 days
2018 Total         254 of 328 days

Happy Sewing! 

Aileen in FL



5 comments:

  1. I am on the fence too, but figure I will pull out some red and neutral scraps and just get some 4 patches made. If I don't continue with the quilt I cam use them for another project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog on 15 Mins to Stitch.
    You had a very productive week.
    Kathleen Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a very productive week on the organization front and can now be much more productive in the sewing room. Good luck with all the bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still looking good on those totals! "There were a lot of..."so that's where I put that" moments!" I laughed when I read that. I have those every time I turn around in the sewing room! They alternate with "Where in the world did I put that?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job getting things a bit organized! I tend to get sidetracked by those "Oh, that's where that went", discoveries.

    ReplyDelete