Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Detoured to garments for a while

Two weeks ago I decided to teach my 5 year old granddaughter to make a simple skirt. She did very well. I have the Janome 6600 with the on/off button which made it easy for her to control the sewing. She is a Fashionista! LOL. I told her to strike a pose. LOL



She loves to play dress up, accessorize and look cute. I have not made children's clothing for years!  While in Seattle I found a few pretty things at Value Village. One was a lovely Flower girls dress. She loved it but it was to tight on the cap sleeves and barely fit around the middle. I took the cap sleeves off and use them to widen the sides. What a pain. As with many fancy clothes there were 3 layers to unpick, alter, and resew. It took forever! I forgot to take a picture before I took it apart, but this is the result.



Monday was the first day of school. I made her a circle skirt on Sunday. I waited until after school Monday to give it to her. She had already picked out her outfit and accessories so I didn't want to get her mixed up! She loved it. She sent me a video of her twirling in it.


The other garment I fixed was an odd one. I am not sure if its a nightgown or a strapless dress. It has a very long tail in the back. Mommy wanted me to add straps as my granddaughter is not always aware when it slips down a bit. LOL!



If you have not notice, she LOVES pink. Secondary colors are white and yellow. I asked her about purple. Nope! I said its grandmas favorite color. Nope! She knows what she likes. If there is pink in with the purple then it is acceptable! Too funny.

I have two more dresses to upcycle. They are 3 sizes to small but fancy lace fabric. When she got them they were to her ankles and 3 sizes to big. She is growing fast. She is a very happy girl. Always singing, dancing and making up songs.

I gave her a notepad to draw some clothing designs on. I explained that is how people who design clothing work out ideas.  She made this self portrait dressed in her favorite color. Her first design!


Her mom says there are 6 more just like it on her notepad. I better get a bigger notebook!

Happy sewing

Aileen in FL

No comments:

Post a Comment